The SAMMAMISH YOUTH BOARD’s mission is to unite youth, adults and government to form a relationship that promotes equality and mutual respect, as well as to create integral activities that lead to a stronger community. The City’s Parks and Recreation Department facilitates this active body of youth due to the creativity and drive of a local high school graduate and the City’s support and dedication to bettering the lives of Sammamish youth.
The Sammamish Youth Board continues to grow and thrive itself on its accomplishments. Since its inception the Sammamish Youth Board has
- Coordinated a variety of community service opportunities for local youth including adopt-a-road clean ups, local trail restoration, and food distribution to homeless youth
- Produced a police/youth video “infomercial” on the risks of speeding for the local Channel 21 television station
- Coordinated a garage sale and “Sample Sammamish” to form relationship with local businesses, raise funds for the American Cancer Society, and support the Board’s Relay for Life team
- Coordinate a variety of teen social events such as a volleyball tournament or ice cream social to increase social opportunities for teens and break down barriers
- Awarded a mini-grant to send local youth representatives to the Washington State Drug and Alcohol Prevention Summit in Yakima
- Offered the annual youth/police BBQ to increase youth/police communications and understanding
- Partnered with local organizations to sponsor community events such as Nightmare at Beaver Lake, Sammamish Highland
- Holiday Celebration, Battle of the Bands, and Spring Eggstravaganza
- Participated in quarterly meetings with the Lake WA School Superintendent.
Local youth are welcomed and encouraged to attend meetings and participate in Sammamish Youth Board-sponsored events. If you or a young person you know of is interested in serving their community and expanding their leadership skills, get involved!
Sampurna Basu, a current SYB member is featured in the Issaquah Living article "Leaders of Tomorrow", on page 16.
2012-2013 Board Meetings
All meetings are open to the public and held from 6-7 at Council Chambers in the Sammamish City Hall (801 – 228th Ave SE). Please see below for specific meeting dates.
- September 19
- October 17
- November 14
- December 12
- January 16
- February 13
- March 20
- April 24
- May 15
- June 12
- Teddy Hung, Chair
- Guneev Lamba, Co-Chair
- Akanksha Bawa, Secretary
- Prabha Dublish, Community Service
- Mia Richards, City Liaison
- Andrew Lam, Programs
All members terms end on Jun. 1, 2014
SYB logo, designed by Asiya Khaki, Eastlake High School, 2000
SYB logo, designed by Courtney Allen, Eastlake High School, 2006